You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Miguelox26
 Rep: 5 

Re: Atlas Shrugged (2023 ) - Rumour

Miguelox26 wrote:

I am more concerned about the lack of magic when it comes to composing slash and his "contribution" to the Chinese rehash is at least worthy of the best guitarist of his generation!

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

monkeychow wrote:

it seems more probable that Axl's vocal difficulties have reached such a peak where ANY recorded vocals of the past where Axl sounds kinda like Axl are now prime meat for the band.

I very much doubt this is an issue. In a studio recording setting, where you have time for an infinite number of vocal takes and you're standing still instead of running around a stadium stage at 60 years old, it would be relatively easy to lay down decent vocal tracks. And that's before you even get on to the idea of massaging those tracks with some studio jiggery-pokery.

Hell, in a year or two it's likely that producers will be able to simply dial in an AI vocal filter that applies Axl's 90s vocal stylings from a model trained on their library of recordings, over his current voice – and no one would be any the wiser.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Miguelox26 wrote:

and that he remade songs that according to his rocker point he didn't want because they weren't hard rock doesn't give him much coherence.

That I can agree with. big_smile

To be honest I think there's fault on both sides.

Against Axl there is that although art shouldn't be on a timeframe, he has taken this to extremes. I know he doesn't owe anyone anything but it's just sad to see so much talent dormant for so long. Likewise, I understand being influenced by Nine Inch Nails and wanting to branch out, but it's a bit strange to have access to someone with 1991 Slash's guitar abilities sitting around and yet focus so heavily on a different genre.

Against Slash - Well, he seems to be naturally super-cool but he tries a little too hard to maintain this image at times to me. Like when he said on tv once that he sleeps in sunglasses even in bed at home. Perhaps, I'm unfair - maybe he does - but at times he's been a little overly worried about GNR staying cool - he seemed to never like the ballads from the start for not being rock enough - and it's weird to me if he did dismiss songs like those on the 2008 album for not being Rock when they can easily be made rocky. Likewise, I take the point that VR was trying very hard not to be an 80s band too - even though I love VR for what it was. Reading Matt's version of events too, and looking at how Slash has come and gone from projects over the years...I do think he can be a touch cutthroat when necessary as well....but then I guess so are most successful people these days.

In terms of him being the best guitarist, I probably over sold it - i saw Zakk  say a while back: guitar is not sports - there is no winner and loser and no best. There are lots of people with more skills - But I do think he's established himself amongst the greats in his style and genre.

Hopefully you are right that Axl can still bring it. On reflection he did semi-nail the twat screams a couple of times earlier in the year - so hopefully in the controlled environment of the studio he can still deliver. 9

Miguelox26

Miguelox26 wrote:

Yes, man, I understand you, to give absolute faith to one or the other is to lose perspective, and it's a bit about understanding and clarifying, no ridiculous sides! Slash is a very good exponent of the genre!...but I see him as more of a great interpret that a good composer!... Axl Rose was directly the greatest exponent of the genre who, with his compositional level, surpassed the role of privileged spokespersons, we are directly facing the best voice of his generation! A screamo with which he was capable of singing paragraphs, a treble with an impressive height and an ability to sustain notes of about twenty-something seconds! Capable of composing jewels that we still fantasize about! If he had limited himself to not innovating, the uses your illusion would not be as they are, mature and artistic works more complex than a typical hard rock album! The change was not Chinese, it was use your illusion, and that artistic mutation of Axl was with the original guns!

Miguelox26

Miguelox26 wrote:

That's why I see slash's vision at that moment as very limited, either because of ego, or because of drugs, or both! He preferred to become an image, brand, caricature or cliche!....brand! I speak to the funs saying that the He wanted to continue rocking in a more casual way, and he chose a leading alternative metal singer to do Velvet Revolver, when we all know that Axl's material was not as Martian as he wanted us to see and that artistically he had nothing at that  level!

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Yeah Slash's brand is GNR, VR, solo, and that Conspirators crap.

Axl's brand is GNR/AFD.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Slash said Sympathy of the Devil was the sound of the band breaking up. I say it is the moment you can hear Axl turning into Brian Wilson. It was madness from then on. Grandiose projects, triple guitarists, triple albums, fifteen producers, millions on synthesizers and a revolving door of band members to produce a single disc of music, which turned out to be a jumbled mess.

The only other artists I can think of who have a similar career to Axl Rose are people who are dead, or in the madhouse.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

monkeychow wrote:
Miguelox26 wrote:

and that he remade songs that according to his rocker point he didn't want because they weren't hard rock doesn't give him much coherence.

Likewise, I take the point that VR was trying very hard not to be an 80s band too - even though I love VR for what it was.

The irony is, Contraband was exactly the album that GN'R should've made in the 00's. If they'd taken those tracks, with that production, and mashed it up with the best of Axl's Chinese Democracy efforts (TWAT, IRS, CD etc), and released it at that time, we'd have had the comeback of the century.

harmon420
 Rep: 20 

harmon420 wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Miguelox26 wrote:

Likewise, I take the point that VR was trying very hard not to be an 80s band too - even though I love VR for what it was.

The irony is, Contraband was exactly the album that GN'R should've made in the 00's. If they'd taken those tracks, with that production, and mashed it up with the best of Axl's Chinese Democracy efforts (TWAT, IRS, CD etc), and released it at that time, we'd have had the comeback of the century.

If I dropped my three least favorite CD album songs and replaced them with slither, set me free, and fall to pieces, then I would have easily one of the best albums of the 00's.

AtariLegend wrote:

I'm gonna say, this one is almost certainly a no at this point.

Even if there had been anything substantial mentioned in the past 2 months, it wouldn't be anyway.

The General pull ends this 1.

Board footer