You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Current Events...

James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Please don't fuck with this site's layout. It's my anchor. It's pretty much the only way I know we're in the same universe as we once were. Like come on...this is not the real future of the 1990s....it has it charms for sure....but i can't take it serious as the evolution of that era.

Relax it was a joke…

Just curious tho…what is your take on what the future should have looked like?

I've been trying to find a good example to explain what I mean but it's more of a feeling. Something about this reality feels wrong as if we are living in the alternative 1985 timeline from back to the future where Biff is super wealthy 16

There's events that are hard to reconcile with back then - eg Trump getting elected (love or hate him), now they seem to be saying UFOs are real, and of course the pandemic happening etc, it's like anything that can happen now does. Like I saw a meme about a sink hole in china the other day revealing an ancient forest semi-underground (have not fact checked it).. ..and I ask myself...would it be surprising if they find dinos? These days not so much.Seems crazy shit is just normal now. But it's not even so much specific things like that.

Perhaps it's the rate of change? I just think back to say 1995 and this world does not "flow" on naturally from that. Like in the way people think, the way people act, things happen now that would have been unthinkable back then. Some of it is the tech we have, but some of it is fundamental value changes or something but it's not the evolution I would have expected from things or something.

Even stuff like politics, like there is still this war between "left" and "right" but I don't feel either sides values have anything to do with what left and right used to mean back in the day.

I'm aware this sounds insane, but I just feel like it's almost like what we are living in now is the alternative timeline after someone figured out  time travel or something like that. Things happen these days and I like some and loathe others but like the whole mood of everything seems like nothing anyone could have predicted in the past. Stuff we argue about these days even. It just wouldn't have even been a thing in the past. I dunno. Maybe I'm full of shit. big_smile

I have very similar feelings. How it happened...I don't know... maybe some crazy tech and there was an accident when testing it.

It feels like reality drifted into some alternate timeline/dimension. Nothing feels like the old world we lived in.

Yeah the Trump thing...feels like something you'd do in a Civ-style game if you wanted to up the ante and cause chaos.

Either way... we're in a hellish dystopia and it's only going to get worse.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

I think it would be interesting to still have my grandparents around and ask them if they felt the same way at any point in their lives.

Someone wise once told me that the older you get the less you’ll recognize the world…

There are two major reasons for that in our times…one is technology which every generation had to deal with…

But i also think the social media technology was just something we weren’t prepared for…and anyone born after FB, Twitter etc thinks this is just how it always was…

I remember before internet. I remember being totally enamored with the possibilities of it all. i have slowly been falling out of love with social tech because it makes me so unhappy.  I can only hope it was all an unintended consequence but still the damage for me is done.

The other thing? 2020…i already cannot remember what life was like before then. It accelerates changes in all directions. It give people a mouthpiece that no one knew existed.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Neemo wrote:

Trump to be arrested in Georgia? Lol

I do enjoy that he is spending his golden years in this manner. I’m sure he thinks he’ll live forever or something.

But his time is running out…what’s ultimate prize here? Let’s say he succeeds at every goal he has…which by my assessment…changes by the minute…

What does it get him? Not another second in this earth. In the words of Axl, he’s ‘wasting your own god damn time…’

This all amounts to a very slow sleeper hold…I’m still hopeful that our system works enough that we won’t destroy each other to satisfy the man child’s ego.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

The other thing? 2020…i already cannot remember what life was like before then. It accelerates changes in all directions. It give people a mouthpiece that no one knew existed.

I'm the opposite.  The days of now or in the past few years fly by.  The stuff/time/days of the 80s-90s retain more of a hold in my mind. 

mitchejw wrote:

I do enjoy that he is spending his golden years in this manner. I’m sure he thinks he’ll live forever or something.

Did you catch last week or whatever he violated some gag order from the presiding judge of his trial in DC?  Dumbass posted on social media some crap about the judge and this was after she told him there was a gag ordered in effect.

He is totally unhinged and predictable.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

But i also think the social media technology was just something we weren’t prepared for…and anyone born after FB, Twitter etc thinks this is just how it always was…

It's interesting to try and find comparisons.

Like my grandfather lived to 101 and must have seen some amazing technological stuff. I think about it sometimes - like the car taking off etc...it's sort of insane. But in a way I feel we have had more of a social or cultural shift recently.

I guess the 1960s generation was a huge shift too...but they seem to have been actively pushing it...whereas I don't know anyone who likes whatever it is that's happening now lol.

It's a good point about social media too. I feel the net was a lot more fun in 1995-2003 era when like anything you were interested in had it's own site run by people who were fanboys for that thing. the tech sucked compared to now in terms of streaming and speeds and stuff. But everything now is corporate and false and there's that nasty kind of undercurrent on everything too.

But even wider it's a bit like social media has broken society kinda. Everyone is narcissistic and so on. I'm not even sure what the problem is.

I feel like i'm always asked to choose between equally important values for me in race to the bottom. Like I feel we should have freedoms but I also feel we should have civic responsibility to one another. Covid seemed to put those things in opposition to each other. It's kinda like asking me if my wife should have a vagina or boobs. How about both? lol.

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

Yevgeny Prigozhin has died in a plane crash, wonder if he fell out of the window first. Been coming since he stood against Putin (for all of 45 min)

James

James wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:

Yevgeny Prigozhin has died in a plane crash, wonder if he fell out of the window first. Been coming since he stood against Putin (for all of 45 min)

Wow. I hadn't checked the news yet.

He was on borrowed time the moment he hesitated mid-coup.

I wish we could get the full story on that. Something weird was going on behind the scenes.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

I didn’t watch the Republicans debate last night nor have i really tried to watch clips…but if what I’m reading is true, i cannot believe what a waste of time debates have become…why bother?

They’re fighting over voters that are with Trump by doing…what? Why does anyone on that stage actually feel they have a chance? Either offer an alternative or give up. And by alternative i mean…don’t just say what trump wants you to say…

Maybe they want to be VP?

James

James wrote:

Presidential debates will be phased out this decade. Neither side wants to do them and since there's no longer any substance and everything revolves around the culture wars...they are a relic of a time that's not coming back.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

I only heard clips of it. It sounded like utter trash.  My favorite one was some guy basically copying something that Trump would say.  It was the Indian guy (sorry not going to look up his name).  He said something to the effect of "I will make the best deal to get us out of Ukraine" like that. 

They just basically seemed like idiots.  I'm sure the Democratic ones will be the same. It's like they basically take one point, hammer the hell out of the opponent or side of the issue and move on.  There's very little differentiation.  Outside of the personal attacks on candidates.

Pretty much, the problem with the Republicans is that there isn't really an opposite/anti Trump guy.  I mean you're not going to get his voters/base (cough...looking at you DeSantis) so going soft on him and blaming the justice department won't work.  I guess Christie is the only guy here who fits taking him on but he's got his own issues.  Maybe Pence too but my god he has zero personality and basically his ceiling is as a VP.  Sorry that popularity stuff counts too.

Board footer