You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: If GNR releases nothing in 2023, is this the end for you?

misterID wrote:

Can they go back and rework Back and Forth Again?

misterID

misterID wrote:

So that 96 album would have included:
This I Love
Oklahoma
Fall to Pieces
Back and Forth Again
The Rose Petalled Garden (BLS)

And maybe Hard School & Down By The Ocean? Am I forgetting anything?

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

misterID wrote:

This I Love
Oklahoma
Fall to Pieces
Back and Forth Again

The Slash's Snakepit stuff?

soboro
 Rep: 1 

soboro wrote:
misterID wrote:

This I Love
Oklahoma
Fall to Pieces
Back and Forth Again

Rose Petal Garden is not considered a song because during the Zakk Wylde trial period, Zakk only said he came up with the riff from a jam with members of Guns.
Down by the Ocean was written by Izzy and Duff in 1995, but all we know is that Axl wanted the song in 2001, and it is doubtful that it was considered at the time.
Personally, I think Hard Skool is a different song than the one that was written to be provided for the Jackie Chan movie at the time.
Possible songs that were considered at the time include Nightcrawler, the predecessor to Speed Parade, which was later released on Slash's Snakepit 2nd album, the song Ocean, which Izzy provided to Slash and later re-recorded with Slash and Duff in 2000 for Izzy's solo album, but which remains unreleased, was more likely to have been considered at the time.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Zakk asked Axl if he’d put any lyrics to the song, so it was at least a little fleshed out. This is a hypothetical scenario about the music that was written during that period

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:
misterID wrote:

This I Love
Oklahoma
Fall to Pieces
Back and Forth Again

From It's Five O' Clock Somewhere:
Be the ball (Axl mentioned it)
Beggars and hangers on (Matt mentioned)

From Beautiful Disease
Put you back (co-written with Izzy)

Heard some rumblings about some of Izzy songs from 117, River and Concrete as well, but never had any more info.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Concrete

I love the title track. Still listen to it on a regular basis. It has such a cool, laid back vibe...

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

This I Love
Oklahoma
Fall to Pieces
Back and Forth Again

To me the starting point is 5 O'clock Somewhere....

Those were the songs that Slash/Gilby wanted to put on the GNR record. What happened is one of those perspective issues. Slash's take is that Axl rejected them because he wanted to pursue an industrial sound. Axl's take is that Slash told him he had to sing them 'as is' and wasn't allowed to contribute. I suspect probably a bit of truth in both sides - Axl has said before he finds his process works best writing music around his melodies rather than being handed finished guitar tracks, so putting that with his then interest in electronic music might have been seen by Slash as rejection even if it wasn't intended as such. One can also understand Slash's perspective that he needed to get back on the road to get off drugs, the UYI recording had taken 2 years, and he just wasn't up for an extended hiatus of fucking around with them. The way its now been 15 year intervals between albums kinda makes his point. On the other hand when your singer is Axl, with Axl's talent, it's pretty stupid to tell him he doesn't get to contribute musically.

Anyways....whoever is right about it....I think it's fair to say in a more functional relationship...where Slash wasn't willing to take his riffs elsewhere, and where Axl was still hanging out with them contributing organically rather than keeping different hours and with different staff....I think....those riffs would have been the foundational rockers of the next album....and the songs you've mentioned would be the huge ballads....maybe Catcher too? I think it would have had a very UYI vibe.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Yea 5 O'Clock ...and even pawnshop guitars were amazing albums that deserved to be part of gnr catalog...hell even believe in me had a couple decent tunes

misterID

misterID wrote:
otto wrote:
misterID wrote:

This I Love
Oklahoma
Fall to Pieces
Back and Forth Again

From It's Five O' Clock Somewhere:
Be the ball (Axl mentioned it)
Beggars and hangers on (Matt mentioned)

From Beautiful Disease
Put you back (co-written with Izzy)

Heard some rumblings about some of Izzy songs from 117, River and Concrete as well, but never had any more info.

Thanks!
Like Monkey said, Catcher would have been there too. Hear a little bit of The Rebel in these

Board footer