You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: 2023 Tour Dates

monkeychow wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Can somebody explain to me why people think TWAT is so hard to sing? It certainly isn’t as hard as Locomotive or Coma.

As Metalalex said the verses/chorus require a lot of breath control, there's very long passages with no room to take a breath and the melody of the vocal doesn't leave much room for bluffing words.

The real fun and games to me though is the "I would do anything for you" screams in the middle and the end.

The high point of that bit hits around F#5 which is not even possible for most male singers - not only does he hit it but he belts it out with ballbreaking power and intensity and rasp and with a passion that suits the song.

It's towards the top of his range in terms of pitch (maybe not the very top as there's instances of him going even higher in passing) but it's high enough and long enough that one's voice would need to be having a good day and most people just can't do it - let alone in the context of a 3.5 hour vocal marathon.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

When the leaks began I always imagined “TWAT” being the opening track of the album. “Do you want to know it all now?” seemed like a statement of purpose, a warning of what was to come. The slow build to that screamed finale just captures all of the drama GNR epics are known for.

And yes: It is hard as hell to sing along to, which makes for a great recording but challenge on stage. He gives himself no pauses to catch his breath. To be able to do so more than 20 years after he laid down the vocal is a real feat.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

ClaudeF wrote:

When the leaks began I always imagined “TWAT” being the opening track of the album. “Do you want to know it all now?” seemed like a statement of purpose, a warning of what was to come.

But... that's not what he's singing. It's "Didn't want to know it all/and I don't want to know it now."

Sky Dog wrote:

Twat is about Stephanie …..the statement song was Madagascar….pretty obvious

Sky Dog wrote:
monkeychow wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Can somebody explain to me why people think TWAT is so hard to sing? It certainly isn’t as hard as Locomotive or Coma.

As Metalalex said the verses/chorus require a lot of breath control, there's very long passages with no room to take a breath and the melody of the vocal doesn't leave much room for bluffing words.

The real fun and games to me though is the "I would do anything for you" screams in the middle and the end.

The high point of that bit hits around F#5 which is not even possible for most male singers - not only does he hit it but he belts it out with ballbreaking power and intensity and rasp and with a passion that suits the song.

It's towards the top of his range in terms of pitch (maybe not the very top as there's instances of him going even higher in passing) but it's high enough and long enough that one's voice would need to be having a good day and most people just can't do it - let alone in the context of a 3.5 hour vocal marathon.

Nice! I stand corrected. He doesn’t do the Jungle scream either. I understand what you are saying but the large majority of people like TWAT for the lyrics and guitar outro from Bucket. TWAT and Madagascar are the only 2 songs that are worthy of being considered next to Estranged and November Rain. Just my 2

Sky Dog wrote:

Point being that every song doesn’t need to sound perfect like the studio version. Live should be live and open to whatever the artist is feeling at the time. I already have the albums. Listen to Whipping Post studio version versus AT Fillmore East.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

The way he unleashed those screams with pure rasp proves he hasn’t lost it, he’s been singing high on purpose

Sky Dog wrote:

Twat is about Stephanie …..the statement song was Madagascar….pretty obvious

Prostitute too

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Point being that every song doesn’t need to sound perfect like the studio version. Live should be live and open to whatever the artist is feeling at the time. I already have the albums. Listen to Whipping Post studio version versus AT Fillmore East.

Yeah...and sometimes a live version can sound better than the studio version.

A few of those 91 Ritz songs are better than the album IMO.

Another good example...

Any time I want to hear that song, ^ is what I listen to.

Any time I want to hear Echoes or Set the Controls For the Heart of the Sun, I turn on Pompeii.

When the leaks began I always imagined “TWAT” being the opening track of the album.

And I always thought it should close the album...the bucket outro sounds like a tribute to all the epic 21 solos.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

For me Axl's screams on TWAT are the best and most impressive part of the song. The solo is good, but I can live with the Finck version of it. Nothing can replace the screams.

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001nbyk

Guns N’ Roses
Glastonbury2023

Lauren Laverne and Jack Saunders introduce one of the most legendary bands on the planet as the LA rock gods Guns N’ Roses make their first visit to Worthy Farm, headlining the Pyramid Stage.

Expect an epic set from the their huge back catalogue of hits from Welcome to the Jungle and Sweet Child O’ Mine to Paradise City.

Show less

Release date:24 June 2023
4 hours
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Knowing the BBC 4 hours may not mean we get the whole gig. I'm sure there will be fan interviews and stuff spliced in, Glastonbury coverage is often not just about the music but also covering other things goin on at the festival. It's clear we are are getting a lot of pro shot footage coming though, and a lot of exposure for the band.
If you are outside of the UK you can probably use a VPN to watch it, but i'm sure someone will be able to rip video from the Iplayer fairly quick and upload it for people outside of the UK

Board footer