You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: UYI Box set coming 2022

Sky Dog wrote:

His leads are great and Brain’s drumming on Absurd….that’s pretty much it for me.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

I'd like the shows Izzy replaced Gilby.

Forgot about that. I would've sold my soul to hear that in 93.

At this point?!? It's an anomaly at best. If memory serves me correctly, they didn't take advantage of his inclusion by doing the Izzy songs, and I remember an old interview saying how none of them gave a shit(including Izzy) and there was no chemistry. Didn't he refuse to rehearse?

I'll take a summer 91 show over that every day and twice on Sundays.

And I want the Perfect Crime documentary

I want this too but I question if it even exists as anything more than an idea.

Yes they have (had?) the footage to make it a reality....but I highly doubt anyone ever dug through the archives cherry picking specific performances from concerts, backstage footage, studio footage, home videos, getting access to MTV archives, CNN, etc. and then making a movie out of it.

People like to gloss over what a huge undertaking this would have been and how long it would have taken. The tour is 1991-93, might include 89-90 footage, and it all goes to hell in 1994.

If they even attempted to get it off the ground, who bankrolled it?

Take into account the only release during the tour was the quickly thrown together Tokyo 92 video. That doesn't scream "hard at work on the tour archives".

We get another taste of their work ethic when it comes to the archives in 1999 with Live Era.

Del James gets the task of putting it together with some input from Axl and Slash, is "recorded across the universe" with about a third being from Tokyo 92, and a lazy track list that doesn't even represent what a GNR show was like.

It shouldn't have been that difficult to come up with a 2 disc live set, yet they fucked it up.

James

James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I'm down for anything from the whole UYI period. There was still good shit going on in the gilby era too.

While I was a fan of it obviously, by 92 it's a bloated mess running on fumes. The tour with Metallica really hammered this point home...as did the VMA appearance with Elton John.

Any box set or potential documentary/movie would be wise to focus on 1991 when they were hungry, ambitious, on fire, and lived up to their "most dangerous band in the world" reputation.

92-93 on video is a reminder that the wheels are coming off, the overindulgence is turning a once great live band into cringe, and the quality of his voice is going downhill.

IF they decide to release something post 1991, it should probably be that "Skin N Bones" period.

James

James wrote:

I just looked up the Warfield 91 set list...

01. Pretty Tied Up
02. Bad Obsession
03. Dust N' Bones
04. Double Talkin' Jive
05. Civil War
06. It's So Easy
Godfather Theme
07. Dead Horse
08. Out Ta Get Me
09. Live And Let Die
10. Perfect Crime
11. Knockin' On Heaven's Door

12. Estranged
13. Welcome To The Jungle
14. Sweet Child O' Mine
15. Paradise City

That's pretty damn good.... although I'd really like a show where both Dust N Bones and 14 Years are performed.

Unfortunately, I don't think they're going to care about pleasing a lunatic fringe section of the fan base who want maximum Izzy in the set.  16

A UYI set, even if demos, alternate takes, etc are a big part of the set, will require multiple concerts to truly give the listener the full UYI experience.

The way the set lists were created makes it so.

One night you get Estranged and Dust N Bones...the next night you get November Rain and 14 Years. One special night you'll get Coma...the next special night is Locomotive.

In the least, two unique shows are needed in the set.

I really, REALLY hope they don't get lazy and go the  Live Era route by having a disc or two of assorted live tracks.

Another big question....

Do they use this set... likely the first and last box set commemorating UYI ...to go all out and tackle Inglewood?!?

This show was truly a hardcore fans wet dream. Other than the St. Louis riot, it's the band's most infamous show....

Perfect Crime
Mr. Brownstone
Right Next Door To Hell
Bad Obsession
Live And Let Die
It’s So Easy
Yesterdays
Dust N’ Bones
Double Talkin’ Jive
Civil War
I Was Only Joking [Intro] / Patience
You Could Be Mine
Piano Solo
November Rain
My Michelle
14 Years
Nightrain
Welcome To The Jungle
Drum Solo
Guitar Solo
Godfather Theme
Pretty Tied Up
Rocket Queen
Don’t Cry [w/ Shannon Hoon]
Only Women Bleed [Intro] / Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door

encore 1:

You Ain’t The First [w/ Shannon Hoon]
Used To Love Her
Move To The City
Bad Time [Intro] / Sweet Child O’ Mine
You’re Crazy [w/ Sebastian Bach]
Locomotive
Out Ta Get Me
Dead Horse

encore 2:

Estranged
Paradise City

Incredible.

On the other hand, this is one of the few shows that could have a standalone release and pull in both a hardcore and casual audience.

In the event of The Perfect Crime ever materializing, a hefty chunk of it could revolve around this show.

One more thing....

Do not waste time, money, or effort throwing various trinkets in this set. Nobody cares. You have a fan base literally starving for new material. Focus on delivering that and not candles, posters, tickets, etc.

Sky Dog wrote:

While I am a 91 guy too, the 93 Skin N Bones  tour was damn good.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Saskatoon 1993 is one of the best GNR shows ever.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

If we get the AFD box equivalent for UYI, I’ll be sorely disappointed. As it is, I’m still annoyed they didn’t include any live video or audio in the AFD box. It was mostly overpriced junk.

They have a great opportunity here to do something truly great for this anniversary release, let’s hope they don’t fuck it up.

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Could you imagine getting that gig in Bluray quality? 11

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Could you imagine getting that gig in Bluray quality? 11

Would be insane. Just goes against James’s narrative that after 1991 they were shit.

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

After 1991 they were shit? They were a gloriously bloated cabaret act (in the best way) in 1992, and 1993 they stripped it back to being a pretty bad ass rock n roll band.

Board footer