You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Hardschool single coming September 24th.

Sky Dog wrote:

BLS, Good point…I like Slash’s solos and other bits and pieces. It’s a personal taste issue. I just hoped that if they took the time to get back together, they would have been more ambitious on the new music front….not just grab stuff from 20-30 years ago.

Sky Dog wrote:

Van Halen did this and it was lukewarm at best.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

I really dug A Different kind of Truth.

But I hear ya - I think something weightier like Atlas Shrugged will be telling.

Sky Dog wrote:

VH was alright but in that scenario I hoped Eddie would have stepped up and not relied on old riffs and ideas. In this situation, it’s Axl taking the easy way out on these songs. Tough to criticize Axl and Eddie because of their pedigree.

jimmythegent

jimmythegent wrote:

Yeah it's a bizarre way of doing it and possibly points to Axl being artistically shot. Maybe this was his plan all along - to record a vault of songs and then string them out in whatever way with whatever lineup happens to be functional at the time.
Also explains why they do so many covers ...

Either that or it's straight up laziness.

Sky Dog wrote:

Axl is voice more than artistic creativity….in my opinion. I wish he would accept the voice issue and write songs more appropriate for his age. Be more Bowie and less Johnny Rotten!

jimmythegent

jimmythegent wrote:
James wrote:

The cover for anyone who hasn't seen it yet...

https://i.imgur.com/otIVH8O.jpg

Another pretty amateurish effort. Concept is sound -  a sly nod to the locker leaks no doubt. But the delivery looks like something I could have scratched up in Photoshop in 5 mins. Why on earth they don't engage the very best design talent around is astounding to me - we've seen it countless times now - the CD artwork fiasco, Absurd and now this.

On the other hand they do great tour posters and lithos but just seem to chuck out any old thing for recorded works?  Baffling...

axlroselocke1
 Rep: 1 

Everybody wanted Hard Skool and we are getting it and people are bitching about them doing CD leftovers. Just enjoy that we are getting this. I feel some "fans" will never be happy. As for the artwork who cares. It's the music we want correct???

jimmythegent

jimmythegent wrote:
axlroselocke1 wrote:

Everybody wanted Hard Skool and we are getting it and people are bitching about them doing CD leftovers. Just enjoy that we are getting this. I feel some "fans" will never be happy. As for the artwork who cares. It's the music we want correct???

We are passionate fans of the band discussing the release of the song - it's history and the artwork are completely relevant things to be discussing. The reception has been positive in the main

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

I thought Different Kind of Truth was absolutely fantastic, and a great album to close out their career with.

It may have had old riff and song ideas used, but they re-recorded them all into brand new songs.

I don’t think it’s comparable to the Frankenstein of CD leftovers with Slash and Duff added on top that we seem to be getting.

As for Hardschool, having listened to it a dozen times now, the sheen is wearing off. And while I like it a whole lot more than Absurd, it still sounds demo-ish. I don’t know if it’s the mix or being brickwalled that gives it a processed sound.

Like, if you play something from UYI, then play this after, it doesn’t sound organic.

I guess I should be happy though…

Oh the struggle of being a GN’R fan!

Board footer