You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Wilco
 Rep: 1 

Re: Sympathy for the Devil recording date?

Wilco wrote:

Interview with the Vampire came out in November 1994

News outlets reported GNR recording the song in October 1994

However the movie was filmed between the fall of 1993 and the spring of 1994

Slash claimed that Axl got the idea for GNR recording the song after seeing a screening of the film

Axl in his fax to MTV said Slash hadnt  been musically involved in Guns since April 1994

But as noted, news reports gave hot press of GNR recently recording the song in October 1994

So when was it recorded? April 94? October? Any clues?

Gilby said he did the song while he was on tour, but it’s unclear when those dates were.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Gilby, who doesn’t even feature on the song, said he did it while they were on tour? Somehow I don’t think so Gilby… 10 16

Wilco
 Rep: 1 

Wilco wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Gilby, who doesn’t even feature on the song, said he did it while they were on tour? Somehow I don’t think so Gilby… 10 16

He was saying that the band did the song without him while he was touring his solo album.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

He might not have gotten fired had he not done the album and tour.

It's what led to his interview with RS to promote it and he bitched about the lack of GNR activity.

lash claimed that Axl got the idea for GNR recording the song after seeing a screening of the film

I remember that differently. They initially had the Stones version of the song but someone involved wanted to get GNR to cover it. Axl initially balked and then changed his mind.

So when was it recorded? April 94? October? Any clues?

We may never actually know but it's probably between August-October.

Gilby's tour started June 12

Pawnshop Guitars released July 26

Rolling Stone magazine Sept 94

No way in hell was that song recorded in April. We would've heard about it fairly quickly.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

I think he would. Not because he had anything against Gilby but because he needed an ally in the band. Dude was a hired gun so he could make up any excuse he liked to make it happen. He did that gig with him in 2000 so there doesn't appear to have been any hard feelings, which again points to the decision being "business" and not personal.

Axl should have followed his instinct with Sympathy. Initially I'm guessing he balked at the idea of doing another cover song after TSI, but then convinced himself it would be good promotion. All it did was promote the idea of GN'R as a pop culture joke.

Still a great song though.

James

James wrote:

It was a bad idea...shit timing.

I'll never forget the huge stacks of the single just rotting in the store. Nobody cared.

I don't know why Geffen expected that to fly off the shelves. People weren't listening to GNR at the time...they were listening to Green Day, The Offspring, NIN, and Soundgarden.

There was no video and radio didn't care either.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

Quite a bit of promo items here.

Anyone familiar with the “PROMOTIONAL GEFFEN RECORDS RETAILERS ORDERING AD CARD”?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203862363034

Vale
 Rep: 4 

Vale wrote:
James wrote:

lash claimed that Axl got the idea for GNR recording the song after seeing a screening of the film

I remember that differently. They initially had the Stones version of the song but someone involved wanted to get GNR to cover it. Axl initially balked and then changed his mind.

I remember reading a Slash interview where he said he watched the movie with the Stones version and said he didn't understand why Axl wanted to do a cover, as the movie was "fine" with the original. I think he considered it a favor to Axl..

But anyways, you know what would have been cool? Opening the Not In This Lifetime tour with the song live...

Edit: Nope, apparently Axl really didn't want to do it either, before he saw he movie. The request came from Tom Zutaut:

see at the 5 min mark:

James

James wrote:

If Axl is against something...and Slash is against something.....

Don't do it.

It makes what happened during and after its recording even worse.

Always go with your first instinct.... especially when the fate of one of the greatest bands in the world hangs in the balance.

James

James wrote:
ClaudeF wrote:

Quite a bit of promo items here.

Anyone familiar with the “PROMOTIONAL GEFFEN RECORDS RETAILERS ORDERING AD CARD”?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203862363034

I loved eBay back in the day. So much great shit and quirky things like this. Also being able to buy stuff like that was such a novelty at the time.

I also loved that mid 2000s period when compact discs became so uncool that people were unloading them by the droves for a penny.

Board footer