You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: The General confirmed next

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

I want the CD era to come to an end but that would require releasing everything that’s left

I want it to end too...for closures sake and it went on too long.

Where we differ is I don't need everything that's left.

The General

Oklahoma
Soul Monster

Maybe toss in Seven as a bonus track and I'm ready to ride off into the sunset.

Is the fan base truly ready for it to end? Nothing is likely to come other than 87-93 archive releases after they've officially closed the door on Chinese.

This fan base doesn't even know what it's like to not have a carrot dangled in its face.

Crazy thing is it's possible the low key release of The General is them quietly shutting the door.

I wish they could talk like a normal band.

James

James wrote:

None of that world even remains anymore.

This is what really brings him down several notches in my book. He used to be #1 on all my lists in my youth...now he's lucky if he can crack the top 10.

He didn't have anything to say about the massive cultural shift of the 21st century. That just blows my mind. Like you said, anything "new" is from a time capsule when he was dealing with Slash and Steph shit and couldn't get over the implosion of GNR.

Supposedly The General (or Soul Monster) deals with child abuse..which clearly had an impact on him going by his early 90s interviews.

It's unfortunate he couldn't tackle such themes in his prime more or just the world in general. Something... anything...

Civil War
Catcher In The Rye

Those are anomalies in the discography. Lyrically they show so much promise.

guts
 Rep: 1 

guts wrote:
James wrote:
misterID wrote:

I want the CD era to come to an end but that would require releasing everything that’s left

I want it to end too...for closures sake and it went on too long.

Where we differ is I don't need everything that's left.

The General

Oklahoma
Soul Monster

Maybe toss in Seven as a bonus track and I'm ready to ride off into the sunset.

Is the fan base truly ready for it to end? Nothing is likely to come other than 87-93 archive releases after they've officially closed the door on Chinese.

This fan base doesn't even know what it's like to not have a carrot dangled in its face.

Crazy thing is it's possible the low key release of The General is them quietly shutting the door.

I wish they could talk like a normal band.

I'm starting to think songs like Soul Monster, Seven, and Berlin are not going to see the light of day.

If Atlas Shrugged were to be released in November, the b-side is probably going to be OMG.

I would rather the b-side be Soul Monster with Atlas of course.

To get those songs listed above a locker type event like 2019 would have to happen again.

James

James wrote:

I'm starting to think songs like Soul Monster, Seven, and Berlin are not going to see the light of day

I'm not closing the door on Oklahoma/Berlin now.  If/when I do, the door to my fandom will probably close as well.

There's still hope... that clip at one of the rehearsals sounded like the outro.

Would be funny if the song's outro was cannibalized for The General.

Wouldn't be the first time. Fleetwood Mac did it with The Chain and  Keep Me There.

Lindsay Buckingham turned this...

+

The outro from this...

Into...

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

It’s remarkable how quickly our shock and happiness about getting “The General” has turned into disappointment at the idea they might bury the song.

In my maybe 18 years on GNR forums I’ve never encountered such a level of emotional exhaustion. There had been periods of frustration but they were balanced by hope.

It’s like that theory about the stages of death. We’re reaching acceptance. The band should be actually frightened about what is to come if they fuck up.

They need to release a bunch of music and get behind it, before the end of this year.

On the upside, if they don’t, in about two or three years GNR stuff will once again plummet in value, and we will see the kinds of great deals we saw in 1998 — 1999. Lots of great deals on the horizon if they drop the ball.

I hope they don’t drop the ball.

James

James wrote:

As long as they don't back out...and two months is plenty of time to back out...I'll just be happy to get it.

It would've been great to see one of the mythical tracks get a huge push...it would make you realize what could've happened had it come out 20 years ago...but this is probably how it would've been treated then.

We're in the beggars can't be choosers stage. I'll take it anyway I can get it. I'd just prefer not to jump through vinyl hoops to get it.

I was hoping for a CD or just buying the song on HDTracks.

James

James wrote:

in about two or three years GNR stuff will once again plummet in value, and we will see the kinds of great deals we saw in 1998 — 1999.

I remember this. It lasted into the 2000s too.

A ton of GNR shit on eBay for pennies on the dollar.

It was also around this time that a bootleg company somewhere started whipping up a fuck ton of LLAS LPs and selling them everywhere.

I know various serious collectors like Aussie and troccoli disagree but it's the only thing that makes sense.

An EP where only 10k copies were made in 1986 had an amazing resurgence...in the 2000s, everyone and their grandma owned it and some record stores were sitting on multiple copies...as well as an endless ebay scroll of LLAS sellers.

There should've been less copies 20 years later...not a million times more. That's not how rare albums work.

I owned it in my youth...got rid of it...and I'd never buy one now because the chances it would be authentic are slim to none.

Blackstar
 Rep: 12 

Blackstar wrote:
misterID wrote:

I want that too. I wish Axl decided to finally close this chapter that has taken such a big part of his career and his life.

Just release all the songs that can get the Slash and Duff treatment - not piecemeal every two years, but all at once, or at least a song per month. Then put the rest of the material, regardless if it's completed or not (he's not going to finish it anyway) in a digital package and/or a limited edition box set for the fans of that era to enjoy.

And then move on. If he feels like creating new music, great. If he doesn't, he can do something else, be a music producer or a music producer like Slash; or just continue performing, or just sit at home and enjoy his life. But just move on.

James wrote:

It's unfortunate he couldn't tackle such themes in his prime more or just the world in general. Something... anything...

Civil War
Catcher In The Rye

People often say that the reason Axl hasn't and won't ever write anything new is because there's nothing for him to write about, since his current life can't be a source of inspiration.

These two examples prove that there's always something to write about as long as someone is in creative mode.

Blackstar
 Rep: 12 

Blackstar wrote:
James wrote:

I'm starting to think songs like Soul Monster, Seven, and Berlin are not going to see the light of day

I'm not closing the door on Oklahoma/Berlin now.  If/when I do, the door to my fandom will probably close as well.

There's still hope... that clip at one of the rehearsals sounded like the outro.

Would be funny if the song's outro was cannibalized for The General.

Wouldn't be the first time. Fleetwood Mac did it with The Chain and  Keep Me There.

The other two clips from that soundcheck didn't sound like either The General or Oklahoma.

Probably wishful thinking, but I think they'd fit more to Oklahoma than to what we can hear on the cell phone recording of The General.

James

James wrote:
Blackstar wrote:
misterID wrote:

I want that too. I wish Axl decided to finally close this chapter that has taken such a big part of his career and his life.

Just release all the songs that can get the Slash and Duff treatment - not piecemeal every two years, but all at once, or at least a song per month. Then put the rest of the material, regardless if it's completed or not (he's not going to finish it anyway) in a digital package and/or a limited edition box set for the fans of that era to enjoy.

And then move on. If he feels like creating new music, great. If he doesn't, he can do something else, be a music producer or a music producer like Slash; or just continue performing, or just sit at home and enjoy his life. But just move on.

James wrote:

Civil War
Catcher In The Rye

People often say that the reason Axl hasn't and won't ever write anything new is because there's nothing for him to write about, since his current life can't be a source of inspiration.

These two examples prove that there's always something to write about as long as someone is in creative mode.

Interesting timing with Civil War when it comes to world events...

Released a month before Iraq invaded Kuwait. While it's not about Desert Storm obviously, release a video for it 1-2 months later and it probably rides the Desert Shield-Storm wave that everyone was paying attention to. Everyone was talking about it..and the lyrics definitely would've packed a punch.

I think the only song from a rock band related to this in that timeframe was...

Catcher In The Rye deserved so much more than a deep cut on an album just sitting on Best Buy and Dollar Store shelves.

How about using it in the soundtrack of that Chapman film? How about the Salinger documentary?

he's not going to finish it anyway

bvqlr.jpg?a470232

No one wants to acknowledge it.

You're right though. Either way, it's time for either him or the fan base to let it go.

The other two clips from that soundcheck didn't sound like either The General or Oklahoma.

Probably wishful thinking, but I think they'd fit more to Oklahoma than to what we can hear on the cell phone recording of The General.

Anyone have a link to the exact clip I'm referring to? There's too many clips online.

Board footer