You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Blackstar
 Rep: 12 

Re: The General confirmed next

Blackstar wrote:
James wrote:

The other two clips from that soundcheck didn't sound like either The General or Oklahoma.

Probably wishful thinking, but I think they'd fit more to Oklahoma than to what we can hear on the cell phone recording of The General.

Anyone have a link to the exact clip I'm referring to? There's too many clips online.

Here it is:

https://streamable.com/9u5mpk
(soundcheck in Buenos Aires, Sept. 30, 2022)

And the other two clips from soundcheck in Porto Alegre (Sept. 26, 2022):

http://sndup.net/dnt6

https://sndup.net/h9cx/

guts
 Rep: 1 

guts wrote:
Blackstar wrote:
James wrote:

The other two clips from that soundcheck didn't sound like either The General or Oklahoma.

Probably wishful thinking, but I think they'd fit more to Oklahoma than to what we can hear on the cell phone recording of The General.

Anyone have a link to the exact clip I'm referring to? There's too many clips online.

Here it is:

https://streamable.com/9u5mpk
(soundcheck in Buenos Aires, Sept. 30, 2022)

And the other two clips from soundcheck in Porto Alegre (Sept. 26, 2022):

http://sndup.net/dnt6

https://sndup.net/h9cx/

I can see these three clips being the outro of The General.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:

Remember when people were like what the hell is "The Plague" on the AFD box set?

That's the low bar. 18

Blackstar
 Rep: 12 

Blackstar wrote:
James wrote:

he's not going to finish it anyway

https://i.imgflip.com/bvqlr.jpg?a470232

No one wants to acknowledge it.

You're right though. Either way, it's time for either him or the fan base to let it go.

He might do it for tracks that just need small overdubs. But does anyone think that if he never recorded vocals on, say, "Dub Suplex", he would do that now?

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

I'm going to have some faith that The General is a big gun.

Also, they'll do the proper release on all channels, not just physical media.

I normally would shit hard on the band right now, and its incompetent management Team Brazil.

So I'm going down to the wishful, hopeful, delightful well. Drinking that water, until October / November rolls around.

We will have answers then.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Damn...I thought that outro clip was longer than that.

Now I'm back to thinking that could be anything.  16

Remember when people were like what the hell is "The Plague" on the AFD box set?

That never should've left the cutting room floor. Surprising that they even saved it.

He might do it for tracks that just need small overdubs. But does anyone think that if he never recorded vocals on, say, "Dub Suplex", he would do that now?

Definitely not.

This is why Ive stopped entertaining the idea of ever getting Beer N a Cigarette and Down On the Street for TSI. If we ever get em, they'll be instrumentals.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

James wrote:

None of that world even remains anymore.

This is what really brings him down several notches in my book. He used to be #1 on all my lists in my youth...now he's lucky if he can crack the top 10.

He didn't have anything to say about the massive cultural shift of the 21st century. That just blows my mind. Like you said, anything "new" is from a time capsule when he was dealing with Slash and Steph shit and couldn't get over the implosion of GNR.

This is the biggest issue IMO. Axl is a really good songwriter, he's an astute observer of the world and its prevailing political, social and cultural trends… and he has had nothing to say lyrically since the early '00s. To take a random example: when he was ranting about Trump on Twitter, why wasn't he channeling that into a song? Why isn't he writing about the state of the world now, instead of the state of his relationships in 2001?

carlossacanell
 Rep: 1 

elevendayempire wrote:
James wrote:

None of that world even remains anymore.

This is what really brings him down several notches in my book. He used to be #1 on all my lists in my youth...now he's lucky if he can crack the top 10.

He didn't have anything to say about the massive cultural shift of the 21st century. That just blows my mind. Like you said, anything "new" is from a time capsule when he was dealing with Slash and Steph shit and couldn't get over the implosion of GNR.

This is the biggest issue IMO. Axl is a really good songwriter, he's an astute observer of the world and its prevailing political, social and cultural trends… and he has had nothing to say lyrically since the early '00s. To take a random example: when he was ranting about Trump on Twitter, why wasn't he channeling that into a song? Why isn't he writing about the state of the world now, instead of the state of his relationships in 2001?

I remember an old interview Axl saying he wasn´t be similar to Iron Maiden due to the lyrics. Rock n Roll shouldn´t be used to talk about POLITIC issues...

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I suspect instrumentals from the old band will be gone.

I can see why they would keep songs that started as pianos tracks like Perhaps, or things Axl had already vocally worked on like Absurd and The General.

I can't imagine them getting out instrumental bucket tracks and getting slash to adapt them so that Axl can write scratch vocals now - why not just have Axl write scratch vocals to a slash riff?

I think anything Axl had significantly developed will eventually come out, but I think ideas that were instrumental only without vocal lines, and from people who are no longer around would get the chop - and probably rightfully so.

Sounded like slash seemed to think these 5 or 6 kinda tracks were what was salvageable and then the band would evolve past it.

To me the general coming out suggests that. If there was a whole industrial album planned it would surely be a part of that - but it seems like disc 2 and 3 is being changed to this kinda EP worth of chinese follow ups. Then a new era starts.

In terms of Ac/Dc back in 16 Axl kinda implied he would be ok with doing new stuff when he joked if someone could do some good writing for him too. I wonder if he would be more open to using co-writers and stuff these days now he is more chilled. I mean he always worked with Izzy and Del and Huge and stuff....so I don't think he's ever been against it...but it seemed in the snakepit days it was challanging for him to be given like 10 finished guitar instrumentals as a wall of stuff to write for....hopefully these days they could face that sort of thing as a team.

It sounds crazy to think that could happen with GNR, but I sort of feel like when it rains it pours, whatever stopped songs like the general finishing for most of our lives is gone, stuff is being released. I could imagine Axl free from the yoke of all this shit he's been imprisoned working on for so long might not know himself - like he might have much more creativity free to just play around and do fun stuff.

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

carlossacanell wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
James wrote:

I remember an old interview Axl saying he wasn´t be similar to Iron Maiden due to the lyrics. Rock n Roll shouldn´t be used to talk about POLITIC issues...

Board footer