You are not logged in. Please register or login.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

Re: If GNR releases nothing in 2023, is this the end for you?

slashsfro wrote:
ClaudeF wrote:

The 2005 New York Times article said Axl wanted a triple CD. That could have given us the bike, red hand, and grenade covers all at once. In fact I wonder if the images originally were selected for a three-album track listing that we never got, which is why they seem disconnected from the songs.

We should have gotten three CDs. Had we, the ridiculousness of not getting anything since 2008 would be bearable.

I'll disagree here.  I'm not sure how realistic a triple CD would have been in the 2000s with the changing landscape (downloading).  A double CD would have still been possible though.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
misterID wrote:

I think a driven manager would have a different relationship with him than an enabling novice, dependent quasi relative who’s invested in keeping things the way they are and afraid to rock the boat.

Merck, Azoff, Peter Katsis, Doc McGhee all tried to manage GNR/Axl in the span of 8 years or so. That’s a lot. None met Axl’s approval. He was miserable, for a variety of reasons, but he certainly didn’t feel like management was in his corner. He’s been in a much happier place since TB took over. He’d rather have it that way, even if they don’t have any experience managing a major act.

Maybe things would be a little different now that the pressure of a reunion is gone, but I’m guessing he’d rather stick with what he knows at this point. I don’t get the sense that Axl is supremely motivated to get new material out to the masses. I put the blame far more on him than TB for not getting more songs/an album released. Even with the last 2 singles, no interviews, promo, etc. Just endless touring. That’s where we are. Maybe a change is on the horizon? We’ll see. At least it appears he’s in good physical shape and his voice is as strong as it has been in years for this latest round of dates. So maybe it’s more than going through the motions this time. We can only hope.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

From what even Beta has said, TB was in his ear stoking the fire the whole time. No doubt everyone wanted a reunion, but I don’t put it past them to sabotage these guys. Beta’s own words were if he didn’t make them the managers they were out… probably not out of his life, but not being involved with tours. That’s me giving her the benefit of the doubt

Sky Dog wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Didn’t mean it that way and wasn’t talking to one poster. The Illusions finished off anything worth a shit in the 87-91 era. They dumped it all on us and history shows they were smart to do it.

Song wise I think the only thing of worth left over from thoses days that we need in actual decent quality is a version of Ain't Goin Down with vocals. I think Axl said himself they wanted to "put it all out". I find Mayhues claims about multiple AFD era songs left over unlikely. I suspect he mispoke and meant Chinese era songs

Yes …that’s what I was trying to say

Sky Dog wrote:

I firmly believe the only gems left in the vault will come from the Chinese sessions.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

The professional management was trying to force a reunion. It would be interesting to see how they would fair now their interests are more aligned with the band.

I will give team brazil that they kept Axl alive. If you go back and watching him in videos from 1992 - he doesn't look like a guy that will still be with us in 2023.

I do wish they had let slash in back in 2005 though..if the band had sorted out it's drama then instead of 10 years later....a lot of the prime years of everyone were spent on side projects.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

I firmly believe the only gems left in the vault will come from the Chinese sessions.

Oklahoma/Berlin sounds fantastic. Either D-Tune or Curly Shuffle gotta be Seven. Soul Monster is supposed to have a Stevie Ray Vaughan type of solo, which I don’t hear on Me and my Elvis.

Edit, got to add neither Scraped, The General or This I Love were on the locker leaks, so there could be others we haven’t heard

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

I had not heard about this before, but apparently the Deadpool films were produced because of enthusiasm over leaked footage:

“Fox became doubtful about the project, even after Reynolds produced test footage of himself in-character. However, the footage was eventually leaked in 2014 to enthusiastic reviews, prompting Fox to green-light the project. Reynolds attributed Fox's green-lighting of the film entirely to the leak. He, Miller and the writers had previously discussed leaking the footage themselves, and Reynolds initially thought that Miller had done so. He later believed the leak came from someone at Fox.”

Speaks to the power of leaks in general.

Yes, I said in “general.” smile

Wondering what it might take for that to happen …

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Same thing almost happened with neill blomkamp's proposed alien movie. Someone leaked some of the pre-development visualisation and the world went nuts, fox started ramping up to make it...then Ridley Scott kinda pushed against it cos he was working on other stuff.

At this stage I think leaks would make us go nuts. Can't see it getting mainstream attention though there's just so much noise. Unless it was absolutely mind blowing music. But even then...would be a cult thing.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

monkeychow wrote:

Same thing almost happened with neill blomkamp's proposed alien movie. Someone leaked some of the pre-development visualisation and the world went nuts, fox started ramping up to make it...then Ridley Scott kinda pushed against it cos he was working on other stuff.

Yeah, and we ended up getting fucking Prometheus, a film that utterly fails to grasp what made the aliens scary in the first place.

Board footer