You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: pets

Axlin16 wrote:

I had no clue that cats could get diabetes.

Best wishes on a productive, full and happy life for your cat. Hopefully he'll be alright.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

took him back for his followup today his sugar was even higher after 2 weeks of medication (27, anything above 10 is high)... so we doubled his dosage ...if he doesnt turn around in 2 weeks we may have to put him down...serously considered it today but i was there with the kids (4 & 7) and its my wife's cat and she wasnt there so it wasnt really appropriate ... this is a hard decision man sad

the other option is shots of insulin but then we need to go to the vet every week for checkups...and not to be cold but its not gonna happen, we wont like it and neither will he, and frankly i just cant afford the bills that that would entail sad

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I gotta be honest...

How much is keeping this cat alive gonna cost you? I know it sounds cold, but will your kids when they're 10-12 really care that the cat is even alive?

I know that I love dogs, but not to the level I did as a kid. When I was a kid it was all about "they're a member of the family". When I got older and had three tempermental ones, suddenly taking care of 3 dogs became taking care of eternal 2 year olds. Suddenly "love" became "work" and "money".

jmo

Would it make more sense to put this very very sickly cat down, and just get another one? Kids seem to move on quicker with something new like a kitten or puppy.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

We spent easily 10,000 to keep my wife's dog alive as long as we did, and it was worth every penny.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

My dog got sick earlier this Summer. was puking and shitting blood. Took him to urgent pet care at 3am.. spent 500 bucks... Worth every penny.

I'd donate my dog a kidney if he needed it and i could.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

its twofold for me...first off i cant afforc to spend alot of money

but most importantly he is getting on in age and you have to weigh in on his quality of life...the vet made it pretty clear today that there isnt going to be any miracle recoveries happening here

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Might be time to make that call, and let him have some peace.

If he was younger, it might've been a different story.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

Neemo, having recently gone thru something similar with our cat as you know, I would have to say if the levels havent gone down when you take him back, I would look to put him down.

It's different if say a $500 dollar operation would fix him, then yeah I would look to try and do that. But it's not and having to take him in for weekly injections IMO is not practical, obviously costly and would stress the cat. As you say he is getting on in years so he is only going to deteriorate given what he has.

Sadly I think you will probably have to put him down, I would look to do that if it was me.  We were stung with quite a few bills for our cat over the years after he got hit by a car one time plus a few abscesses and I never thought twice about paying it.  But when he got to the point where he was really bad and not going to get better but continue to go downhill, we had to make the tough call.

Neemo

Neemo wrote:

yeah like the vet said if we can get the blood sugar to a manageble level then it'll be a different story, but he's starting to lose motor control of his legs...he walks around on his back haunches  most of the time

he has a hard time going up and down stairs...even getting up on the bed or couch to cuddle is hard for him cuz he just cant get up on anything anymore..vet said that if he kinda just goes off by himself in the corner of the room and stays away from people or if he loses comfort in being cuddled with (stops purring when we pet him and stuff) then we know that he has had enough..

he hates the vet, like he is miserble when he has to go...today he was kinda like whatever, then he pissed himself in his carrier so i ave him a bath when we got home and he kinda tried to get out then he was like fuck it whatever...didnt struggle at all to get away from the water sad ... still though when we pick him up and put him on our laps and stuff he is quite content and purrs as loud as ever...

anyway this blows...we'll see what the next 2 weeks bring i suppose...its not really about the kids at this stage, we may or may not get another cat...but it wont be right away

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

We had a dog that was diabetic (among other health issues) live for 5 years with daily shots with a fine and happy quality of life.  It can be done if they can get the sugar under control.  The next couple weeks will be key...good luck no matter what happens.

If you can't afford it, or the situation is different (and it probably is), that's a whole different story.  Sometimes the best decision is the hardest one.

Board footer